Photo Credit: iboff
My husband and I eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner... nearly every night.
Before you begin to wonder if we also drink apple juice and take naps, allow me to explain how this simple meal has become a part of our family's daily rhythm.
My husband was a seminarian for about one year.
At his former seminary, some brothers owned the responsibility of cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. These brothers ate an abbreviated dinner, known around the house as a "factotum dinner." Their brief meal meant a head start on the evening's clean-up
I can't quite remember why we started eating small dinners. I think it happened rather organically-- a consequence of our very busy first married year. At some point we recognized our trend and began calling our nightly dinner "factotum."
Whatever comprises our little dinner, I've been surprised to discover that it's always deeply nourishing-- for my soul.
First, there's something healthy about going to bed ever so slightly hungry. When our inclination is to grasp and stuff, consuming less generates undeniable physical and spiritual benefits.
We learn to grow in gratitude and humility. How can I complain about the small rumbling in my stomach when so many suffer pangs of true hunger?
Second, a simpler meal can leave room for richness elsewhere. As Christians, we know that fasting also means feasting. We can fast from food in order to feast upon prayer.
A small and simple dinner, I've learned, means feasting on conversation with my husband... entering into rest after a busy day... soaking in love and peace.
That God can bless us so lavishly through a bit of simple bread should come as no surprise to us.

No comments:
Post a Comment